You may share a link to this page on any of the sites listed below.
Cynthia Barnett Hibnick practices in the areas of healthcare litigation; business litigation; peer review defense; qui tam and healthcare fraud defense; medical professionals’ employment matters; medical malpractice defense; HIPAA/HITECH, FIPA and other statutory and regulatory privacy and security risk assessments and compliance matters; and cannabis law.
Ms. Hibnick, a civil trial attorney with over 35 years of legal experience, is AV-Preeminent® rated by Martindale-Hubbell. She has a wide variety of litigation experience on both the plaintiff and defense side. She has tried cases to jury verdicts in state and federal courts throughout the State of Florida in areas as diverse as medical malpractice, product liability, breach of contract, civil fraud, federal civil rights violations, false arrest and malicious prosecution and general tort and casualty claims.
For the past ten years, her litigation practice has been largely devoted to representing healthcare providers and affiliated entities, physicians, physician practice groups, practice management companies, substance use disorder facilities, medical billing companies, risk retention groups, and malpractice insurance carriers in healthcare litigation, peer review defense, qui tam and healthcare fraud defense, medical malpractice and related claims. She has also defended these clients in regulatory and administrative cases involving Florida Department of Health (DOH) and the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA). Ms. Hibnick regularly assists clients with employment-related negotiations, billing audits and other disputes with third-party payors. Ms. Hibnick has also served as Special Counsel for HIPAA/HITECH, FIPA and other statutory and regulatory privacy and security compliance and health law matters for a major Florida metropolitan municipal corporation and regularly advises private healthcare and business clients on these compliance issues.
Ms. Hibnick is the Chair of Lubell | Rosen’s Cannabis Law Group, a multi-disciplinary team that is available to assist physicians, healthcare professionals, medical marijuana treatment centers, laboratories and testing facilities, as well as ancillary cannabis industry businesses in all aspects of regulatory law, compliance, transactions and litigation. She currently serves on the Florida Bar’s Business Law Section’s Cannabis Law Study Group, an appointed position.
Ms. Hibnick has educated medical directors, physicians and residents, and substance use disorder facility owners, both nationally and locally on recurring medical/legal issues, litigation prevention and avoidance and how to proceed once sued. She has been invited faculty to the behavioral health and substance use disorder industries thought leaders’ seminars. Ms. Hibnick has also served as invited faculty to teach litigation skills to attorneys.
She graduated cum laude with a J.D. from the University of Miami School of Law in 1983 and magna cum laude with a B.A. in English from the University of Miami in 1979.
Ms. Hibnick is a Partner based in the Coral Gables office. Before joining Lubell | Rosen, she founded her own firm, served as Of Counsel with Broad and Cassel, was the managing shareholder of Logan & Hibnick, P.A. and was associated with other preeminent Florida litigation firms.
Memberships and Recognitions
- The Florida Bar Association (Health Law , Trial Lawyers; and Business Law Sections, Business Law Section Cannabis Law Study Group 2019, Annual Convention Committee 2011-2013; Charitable Subcommittee 2011- 2012)
- The Illinois State Bar Association
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- American Health Lawyers Association (Health Care Liability and Litigation; Medical Staff Credentialing and Peer Review; Fraud and Abuse; and Physicians Organizations Practice Groups)
- Cannabis LAB (Law, Accounting & Business)
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers (Director, Dade County Chapter 1989 to 1991)
- Women’s Chamber of Commerce of Miami-Dade County (Treasurer 2013; Director 2012-2014)
- Women’s Fund of Miami-Dade (Director 2012-present; Auction Chair 2014-2016)
- Eleventh Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee (1991-1994)
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Florida Legal Elite™
- AV-Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- HIPAA/HITECH, FIPA and Other Statutory and Regulatory Privacy and Security Compliance
- Business Litigation
- Peer Review Defense
- Qui Tam and Healthcare Fraud Defense
- Regulatory and Administrative Claims Defense
- Third-Party Payor Disputes